Monday 22 June 2015

There's more?

Please read the first post in this blog for context
---
Due to being cross-eyed my eyes were pointing at slightly different angles. This meant that the section of my retina capable of the highest level of detail would focus on different things. 

In people without strabismus both eyes point at the same thing which means the brain can combine the two images and can interpret depth through triangulation. This gives a perception of space which enables the person to do things like move through the world without bumping into doorways and catch things. 

The teaching at the time was that if strabismus wasn't corrected surgically by around five years of age the brain would permanently adapt by only using the input from one eye, ignoring the second.

Due to the treatment I'd received I had good vision in both eyes but not use them together. My brain would use one eye for primary vision and the second as peripheral. Switching between them was either voluntary or involuntary. Involuntary switching would be due to the object I wanted to see being obscured by something (most likely my nose) or the sun in my eye. Voluntary switching was like the "Camera 1, Camera 2" scene in Wayne's World but without having to wink.

Due to the lack of depth perception the world to me is flat. Like layers of paper moving over the top of each other. I find it difficult to catch things. Putting a glass down on a bench has to be a careful exercise. I'd love to fly quadcopters but I have no idea where they are in the air. If I can't see where something is touching the ground then I really have a hard time working out where it is in space.

I have a vivid memory of lifting a large glass jar full of sugar out of a drawer and going to put it onto a bench. I didn't have the jar high enough to clear the edge and sheared the bottom off on the bench-top.

About two years ago I read an article that gave me a glimmer of hope that the way my brain was set up to deal with visual information may not be permanent. The thinking was that games specifically designed to make the eyes work together, using the relatively new Oculus Rift, could reverse the changes made to compensate in the past.

The term amblyopia was mentioned which describes the decreased vision in one otherwise normal eye due either to structural issues or due to the brain ignoring the input from one eye to prevent double vision.

Discussion in the comments pointed me to a book called Fixing My Gaze by Suzanne Barry, a personal account with a very similar beginning to mine. The book contained a great description of amblyopia and what causes it. What really sucked me in was Dr Barry's description of her journey through vision therapy which was ultimately the process of physically training her eyes to point at the same objective and teaching her brain to use both eyes again.

Dr Barry was in her forties when she was able to gain the ability to use her eyes together and view space for the first time.

About the same time a show called Redesign My Brain was screening on the ABC. Presented by Todd Sampson (small man-crush there) it presented practical application of neuroplasticity or intentionally teaching our brains to rewire themselves to increase its abilities.

While the application in Redesign My Brain were towards skills like memory, attention, creativity and managing fear it got me thinking that it would really be possible for my brain to learn how to use both eyes again.

On the back of the hope that "Fixing My Gaze" and "Redesign My Brain" I did some research to find out what kind of treatment was available and if it was offered locally in Brisbane. The treatment is called vision therapy which employs various techniques to improve visual ability.

The journey had to be put on hold due to other priorities (my youngest is now 6 months old and going strong) but I've now got the opportunity to pursue therapy and see if I can redesign my brain.

My first appointment is tomorrow night and I know this will be hard. There are going to be challenges and set-back and loads of exercises. I'm anticipating head-aches and eye-strain but I believe that the treatment will make a difference but only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment